BUKIT MERTAJAM: 48 Bangladeshis and a local man arrested for allegedly being in a congregation of hundreds of foreigners outside a surau in Taman Pelangi on Tuesday (July 20) morning, have been remanded to help with the investigation.
All 49 men arrived at the Bukit Mertajam courthouse in three police trucks at about 10.20am on Wednesday (July 21), according to The Star.
The 48 Bangladeshis aged between 20 and 43 years were remanded for four days, while the A 64-year-old local man who was part of the group was remanded for three days.
On Tuesday, Penang police chief Comm Datuk Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain said the Bangladeshis men, who allegedly performed Hari Raya Aidiladha prayers outside the surau, were denied entry as the limit of 100 people had been reached.
They then reportedly gathered to perform their prayers on the road in front of the surau.
They are being investigated under Section 269 of the Penal Code for a negligent act that could spread an infectious disease, as well as movement without permission; Section 270 of the Penal Code for spreading harmful infection; and the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988 (Act 342) (Measures in Communicable Areas) Regulations 2020.
Comm Mohd Shuhaily said police are tracking down about 200 of them to investigate the gathering.